February 27, 2022

#PrayForUkraine

I've been a Holocaust historian for more than a decade already. I read countless documents, testimonies, newspaper articles etc. etc. about the ruthlessness of politicians and bureaucracy, about the suffering of people, and about the war on a daily basis. You cannot get used to it. You always try to imagine how it might have been for those who experienced the persecution and the war - but of course you can't. And over the years I came to two conclusions: 1) there is no sense in such events, no sense in suffering. There is no God-like figure steering history in some kind of sensible way to a sensible conclusion. History is chaos, a patchwork of the millions of deeds of millions of ordinary people. 2) We cannot be grateful enough for living in peace. I have the feeling that most of us take what we have granted and cannot even imagine how it would be if we were forced to leave our house, belongings, our entire life behind. Not to mention losing loved ones to a bloody conflict. Peace is something that we must value over everything because peace makes our life as we know today possible. 
And that is exactly why the Russian invasion of Ukraine so shocking. It is in a neighboring country and suddenly we all have to face that peace is a fragile construction and all of us need to contribute to it. 
I am not going to go into politics, this is not the place. I just want to say that I am disgusted by aggression, war, weapons. I can't even imagine how I would react if I was in the shoes of those Ukrainians whose homeland has been attacked. Probably I would flee. I cannot bear war at all (I have experience in this, so I know what I'm talking about). And therefore I condemn Russia's actions and I stand with Ukraine.

The following chocolate is based on Ukrainian national cuisine: many typical Ukrainian treats are made with cottage cheese, sour cream and honey - I combined the latter two in the filling, which resulted in a sour-sweet, refreshing cream.


Ingredients:
50 gr sour cream
10 gr honey
70 gr white chocolate
10 gr butter
200 gr milk chocolate
food paint

Recipe:
I mix the sour cream and the honey in a bowl. I melt the white chocolate and the butter and add it to the sour cream.
I paint the cavities of the mold with yellow and blue, the colors of the Ukrainian flag. I temper the milk chocolate and I prepare the bonbon shells. I fill them with the sour cream-honey filling, then I place the mold in the fridge. When the filling sets, I temper the leftover milk chocolate and I seal the bonbons.


Több mint egy évtizede dolgozok holocauszttörténészként. Számtalan dokumentumot, tanúvallomást, újságcikket stb. olvasok napi szinten a politikusok és a bürokrácia kíméletlenségéről, emberek szenvedéséről és a háborúról. Nem lehet hozzászokni. Mindig megpróbálom elképzelni, milyen lehetett azoknak, akik átélték az üldöztetést és a háborút - de persze nem lehet. Az évek során két következtetésre jutottam: 1. az ilyen eseményekben nem érdemes értelmet, célt keresni. Nincs semmilyen Isten-szerű alak, aki a történelmet valamiféle értelmes vég felé kormányozza. A történelem káosz, millió ember millió cselekedetéből összeálló kirakó. 2. Nem lehetünk elég hálásak azért, hogy békében élünk. Az az érzésem, hogy a legtöbbünk magától értetődőnek veszi amije van, és el sem tudja képzelni, milyen lenne, ha hátra kéne hagynia a házát, tulajdonait, az egész életét. Arról nem is beszélve, ha véres konfliktusban veszítenék el egyik szerettüket. A béke olyasmi, amit mindenek felett meg kell becsülnünk, mert a béke teszi lehetővé az életünket úgy, ahogy ma ismerjük.
Épp ezért annyira sokkoló, hogy Oroszország megtámadta Ukrajnát. Szomszédos ország, és hirtelen mindannyiunknak szembe kell néznünk azzal, hogy a béke törékeny konstrukció, amelyhez mindannyiunknak hozzá kell járulni.
Nem megyek bele politikába, ez nem az a hely. Csak annyit írok, hogy undorodom az erőszaktól, a háborútól és a fegyverektől. El sem tudom képzelni, hogy reagálnék, ha azon ukránok cipőjében járnék, akiknek a hazáját most megtámadták. Valószínűleg elmenekülnék. Nem bírom elviselni a háborút (tapasztalatból beszélek). Épp ezért elítélem Oroszország tetteit és Ukrajna mellett állok.

A következő csokit az ukrán nemzeti eledelek ihlették: több jellegzetes ukrán édességet is túróval, tejföllel, mézzel készítenek - az utóbbi kettőt kombináltam a töltelékben, ami kellemes, savanykás-édes krémet eredményezett. 


Hozzávalók:
50 gr tejföl
10 gr méz
70 gr fehércsoki
10 gr vaj
200 gr tejcsoki
ételfesték

Elkészítés:
Egy tálban összekeverem a tejfölt és a mézet. Megolvasztom a fehércsokit és a vajat, majd a tejfölhöz adom.
A bonbonforma mélyedéseit sárgával és kékkel, az ukrán zászló színeivel festem ki. Temperálom a tejcsokit és elkészítem a bonbonok burkát. Megtöltöm őket a tejfölös-mézes töltelékkel, majd a hűtőbe teszem a formát. Amikor a töltelék kihűlt, temperálom a maradék tejcsokit és lezárom a bonbonokat.

No comments: